In my previous articles we have seen how to build REST services using Spring and Jersy . Both the frameworks are good to implement REST services. But, I was looking for a lightweight web framework to build REST services by considering some characteristics.
Play satisfies the required characteristics as shown below,
- REST Support
- Play has first in class support for REST.
- More Developer Productive
- Play provides high developer productivity but having hot reload of code, templates, config changes etc… Developer just need to do the code change and refresh the page to see the update. No re build and re deployment.
- Open source
- Play is open source and is released under the Apache 2 License.
- Less System Resource Utilization
- Play consumes less system resources like CPU and memory as it uses only one thread to process the requests(against to the traditional servers where one thread per request).
- Less Learning Curve
- Play is very simple to set up and work with less learning curve.
- Pluggable Architecture
- Play has numerous modules which you can plugin based on the requirement..
In the coming articles we will see how to install Play. Until then, “Stay Hungry” to learn.