In my previous articles, we have seen how to build REST services using Spring and Jersy. Both frameworks are good to implement REST services. But, I was looking for a lightweight web framework to build REST services by considering some characteristics.
Play satisfies the required characteristics as shown below,
- REST Support
- The play has first in class support for REST.
- More Developer Productive
- Play provides high developer productivity but having hot reload of code, templates, config changes, etc. The developer just needs to do the code change and refresh the page to see the update. No rebuild and redeployment.
- Open source
- Play is open source and is released under the Apache 2 License.
- Less System Resource Utilization
- Play consumes fewer system resources like CPU and memory as it uses only one thread to process the requests(against the traditional servers where one thread per request).
- Less Learning Curve
- Play is very simple to set up and work with less learning curve.
- Pluggable Architecture
- The play has numerous modules which you can plugin based on the requirement.
In the coming articles, we will see how to install Play. Until then, “Stay Hungry” to learn.