In continuation to the last post(https://smarttechies.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/apache-solr-open-source-enterprise-search-platform/), Apache Solr is an open source enterprise search platform based on Apache Lucene. Here, I am providing answers to the common queries which will arise when we start to learn any new software.
The first question is
- Apache solr is an open source.We can have a look on the source code,customize..
- It performs better full-text search than the relational database search.
- It can support for other languages other than English.
What is Solr?
- A full text search engine.
- A specialized type of schema less database management system.
- Customizable, open source software.
What features Solr has?
- Full-text search
- Faceted search
- Relevant results
- Database integration
- Distributed indexing
- Spell Check
- Support for synonyms , Etc …..
From the above discussion, we have a glimpse of the Apache Solr. Now, we will see where and how Solr fits in our application from the below diagram.
The use case, which we are going to discuss from the above diagram is,the online application has search module, where, end user enters keywords to search. In this case, if you search against to the database, we cannot get all the features mentioned above. That is why, the search will be served from the Apache Solr. Here, the data from the database will be indexed into the Solr. All the search traffic will be directed to the Solr server.
In the next session, we will discuss about Apache Solr installation and configuration.